Hereford Brisket with Mushrooms
- 1.3kg/3lb lean brisket or silverside joint
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 30ml/2tbsp sunflower oil or rapeseed oil
- 2 red onions, peeled and chopped
- 300g/10½oz mixed mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 600ml/1pint good, hot beef stock
- 30ml/2tbsp tomato purée
- 15-30ml/1-2tbsp freshly chopped tarragon
- 30ml/2tbsp prepared chilli sauce, optional
- 1 x 400g can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 225g/8oz Brussels sprouts, halved
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
- Place the joint on a chopping board and season. Then place the joint in the base of a slow cooker with the remaining ingredients.
- Turn a large slow cooker to HIGH and cook for 4-6 hours or LOW for 8-10 hours (or according to your manufacturers’ handbook).
- Serve the brisket with mash or warm crusty bread