- 1.3kg/3lb oxtail pieces
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 2.5ml/½tsp allspice powder
- 30ml/2tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 300ml/½pint good red wine
- 450ml/¾pint good, hot beef or chicken stock
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 30ml/2tbsp good balsamic vinegar
- 100g/4oz fresh blackberries, rinsed
- Place the oxtail in large plastic food bag. Add the seasoning and allspice powder, seal and shake well to coat.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and cook the oxtail until brown on all sides. Transfer to large heatproof casserole pot.
- In the same frying pan add the garlic and onion. Cook over a moderate heat for 3-4 minutes and spoon into the casserole pot.
- Add the wine, stock and herbs and bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and cook on the hob for 3-3½ hours.
- 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the balsamic vinegar and blackberries.
- Serve the oxtail with the blackberries, crushed potatoes and seasonal vegetables.