800g beef shin/brisket in 4cm cubes
- 5cm cinnamon bark
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 taspoon ground cumin
- 12 green cardamoms de-seeded
- 1 small onion
- thumb sized piece of ginger
- 3 tablespoons of tamarind paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons of chilli powder (adjust according to taste)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Vegetable oil
- 2 onions
- 2 fresh red chillies (optional)
- 800g chopped tinned tomatoes
- 200ml water
- Put the dry ingredients into a hot non-stick pan and heat gently for 4-5 minutes until the spices begin to release a fragrance.
- Remove and put into a spice grinder / pestle and mortar / food processor and grind to a powder.
- Add the other marinade ingredients to a food processor and blend to form a paste.
- Use this paste to coat the beef and place in the fridge for 12-24 hours so that the Beef can take on the flavour of the spices and tenderize.
- Remove the Beef from the fridge and allow to come to room temperature.
- Heat a large heavy bottomed saucepan on a high heat. Add the vegetable oil, followed by the sliced onion. Cook until golden then add the beef with its marinade and fry for 5-10 minutes, turning occasionally to allow the beef to brown. (If multiplying this recipe, you will need to do this in batches).
- Add the chopped tomatoes, chillies and water. Cover and cook for 2-3 hours until the meat is beautifully tender. Check every 30 minutes that the pan is not becoming dry, adding more water if necessary.
- Serve, alongside rice, naan breads and coriander.