- 1.3kg/3lb lean beef topside joint
- 30ml/2tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 10ml/2tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- 10ml/2tsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
Pasta, Asparagus and Cherry Tomato Salad
- 375g/12oz cooked pasta shapes
- 1 bunch (approx. 350g) whole asparagus, halved, lightly cooked and cooled
- 100g/4oz cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped chives
- 30ml/2tbsp white wine or cider vinegar
- 10ml/2tsp caster sugar
- 15ml/1tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4-5, 180-190°C, 350-375°F.
- In a small bowl mix together the dried herbs, fennel seeds, olive oil and seasoning.
- Place the joint on a chopping board, score the skin and rub the herb mixture all over.
- Place the joint on a rack in a non-stick roasting tin and open roast for the preferred calculated cooking time, basting occasionally with any meat juices. Cover the joint with foil if browning too quickly.
- Remove the joint from the roasting tin, transfer to a warm plate, cover and leave to rest for 5-10 minutes before carving.
- Meanwhile, place the pasta, asparagus and cherry tomatoes into a large bowl. Put the dressing ingredients into a screw-topped jar, season and shake until combined. Pour over the salad and serve with the beef.