- 400g of Hereford Beef braising steak
- 1 tablespoon of the cooking oil of your choice
- 1 large white onion
- 2 medium sized carrots
- 1 tablespoon of plain white flour
- 1 litre of beef stock
- 320g sheet of ready-rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk for washing pastry
- Ground salt and pepper to season
- Dice your Hereford Beef (we recommend a cut of braising steak) and dust with plain flour.
- Using a large frying pan, add the cooking oil of your choice and heat on high heat, adding the meat and cooking until golden brown on all sides.
- Dice onions, carrots and add to beef stock with cracked black pepper and salt to the pan.
- Simmer for 1.5 hours on low heat, allowing the liquid to reduce to a gravy adding plain flour if necessary to thicken.
- Preheat your oven to 190C/375F/gas mark 5.
- Taking a muffin tin, brush each indent with butter before adding your ready roll puff pastry and blind bake for 20 minutes (don’t forget your baking beads).
- Add the mixture to the cases and a puff pastry lid to each of your pies, making sure you seal the edges with a firm crimp (or a fork if the fancy takes you). Make sure you make a small hole in the top for steam.
- Pop your pies in the oven and cook for 1-1.5 hours. Serve your Hereford Beef pies hot and enjoy.