3 tablespoons olive oil
675g Hereford stewing beef, cubed
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 tablespoons tomato puree
1 tablespoon dark Muscovado sugar
350ml Greek red wine
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
2 bay leaves
1 pinch ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
Pepper, to taste
450 g small onions
1. Heat the oil in a large casserole and brown the Hereford beef in batches. Remove from the pan and set aside.
2. Add the garlic and onions to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes until lightly browned.
3. Return the Hereford beef to the pan and add the tomato puree and sugar, stirring to coat the meat.
4. Add the wine and just enough water to cover the meat.
5. Stir in the vinegar, bay leaves, spices, salt and pepper. Stir well, cover and simmer for about 1½ hours, until the beef is just tender.
6. Heat the butter in a frying pan and brown the small onions over a medium heat.
7. Add the onions to the Hereford beef mixture, cover and cook for about 20-30 minutes, until the onions are tender.