2 tbsp olive oil
1 kg Hereford braising steak, cubed
1 onion, chopped
450 g carrots, thickly sliced
2 tbsp plain flour
500 ml stout
3 tsp dark brown sugar
2 tbsp tomato puree
salt and pepper
1 tbsp black treacle
200 ml beef stock
1 tsp juniper berries, crushed (optional)15-20 cooked chestnuts
- Heat the oven to 160°C (140° fan) gas
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan and fry the meat in batches until browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan and cook the onion and carrots for about 5 minutes until browned.
- Stir in the flour, followed by the beer, sugar, tomato puree and a good seasoning of salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil and stir in the treacle and juniper berries.
- Transfer the mixture to a casserole dish. Cover and cook for 2 hours. Add the chestnuts and cook for a further 30 minutes.