- 450g (1lb) lean minced beef
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped + 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 50g (2oz) chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 10ml (2tsp) yeast extract
- 15ml (1tbsp) gravy granules
- 5ml (1tsp) fresh thyme
- 15ml (1tbsp) oil
- 12g ( 1⁄2 oz) butter
- 450g (1lb) potatoes, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 50g (2oz) Lancashire cheese
- Dry fry minced beef, onion and mushrooms, until browned. Add yeast extract and thicken with gravy granules. Sprinkle thyme over the mince mixture.
- Heat oil and butter in a 25cm (10″) non-stick frying pan. Place half the potatoes and onions on the bottom of the pan. Add half the mince mixture and half the Lancashire cheese, crumbled or grated, then the final layer of mince and potatoes.
- Cover with lid or baking sheet and cook on a moderate heat for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Uncover, top with remaining cheese, place the frying pan under a pre-heated grill and brown until golden in colour (approximately 5- 10 minutes).