- 2 onions
- 800g Hereford Beef mince
- 50g brown breadcrumbs
- 100ml red wine or beef stock
- Thumb sized piece of grated ginger
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 3 tablespoons of good quality mango chutney
- 2 tablespoons of chopped rosemary and thyme
- 1 apple grated
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 6 bay leaves
- 2 eggs
- 250ml double cream
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Finely chop your onions and heat a heavy-based casserole pan on the hob with some oil. Add the chopped onions and fry off for 4-5 minutes until just starting to colour.
- Add the minced beef to the onions and fry for a further 5 minutes until lightly browned.
- Stir in the remainder of the ingredients and season well.
- Once thoroughly mixed, place the mince into a shallow ovenproof dish. Smooth the beef mixture with the back of a spoon, and then place the bay leaves evenly on the top.
- For the topping beat the egg with the double cream, season and then pour over the beef mix.
- Bake for 35-40minutes until golden brown. Serve piping hot, with an extra spoon of mango chutney.