- 450g/1lb beef mince
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 4 slices Cheddar cheese
- Burger rolls
- Onion rings
- Salad leaves and tomatoes
- Place the mince in a large bowl and season.
- Using slightly damp hands shape the mixture into the mixture into four 9cm/3½inch burgers. Cover and chill for 20 minutes.
- Cook on a prepared barbecue or under a preheated moderate grill for 6-8 minutes on one side. Turn the burgers over and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes. Add the cheese and continue to cook for a further minute or until the cheese just melts.
- Serve with rolls,onions, salad leaves, tomatoes and relishes.