- 1 piece of beef fillet, about 800g
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 6 tbsp mixed peppercorns, (pink, black, white) coarsely crushed
- Rub the beef all over with the oil. Heat a large, frying pan or roasting tin and brown the beef on all sides, except the ends. Remove the beef from the pan and leave until cold.
- Heat the oven to 220 °C (200 °C fan), gas 7.
- Spread the mustard over the seared beef, except the ends, then roll the mustard-covered sides in the crushed peppercorns.
- Place the beef on a rack in a roasting tin and cook for 15-30 minutes, depending on whether you like your beef rare or well done. Transfer to a carving board and let it rest for 10 minutes before carving.