350g minced lean Hereford beef
135g tinned sliced water chestnuts, drained
1 tbsp finely chopped onion
1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
1 tbsp grated root ginger
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
40-44 wonton wrappers
For the dipping sauce :
125ml light soy sauce
125ml rice wine vinegar or dry sherry
2 tbsp sliced onion
1 tsp finely chopped root ginger
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp light brown sugar
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Mix together the beef, water chestnuts, onions, garlic, ginger, soy sauce and vinegar in a bowl until blended.
- Peel off a wonton wrapper and, using a pastry brush, lightly brush round the outside with cold water.
- Place 1 tsp of mixture in the centre and scrunch up into a pouch, squeezing to seal. Do not overfill. Repeat until you have 40-44.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Line a bamboo or metal steaming basket with lettuce leaves to fit.
- Put as many dumplings as will fit in an even layer in the steamer basket (without them touching), cover and steam for 5-10 minutes until the dough is tender and the filling is cooked through (you’ll need to cut one open to check).
- Remove the dumplings and repeat with the remaining dumplings. – check the water level. (If the first batch cools before serving, they can be reheated in the microwave.)
- Remove with tongs to a platter and steam the rest. Serve with the dipping sauce.
- For the dipping sauce: stir all the ingredients in a small bowl until blended and the sugar has dissolved completely.