- 1 tbsp oil
- 500g minced Hereford beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 300ml beef stock
- Salt and pepper
- 225g self-raising flour
- 25g cornflour
- 75g shredded suet
- 300ml milk
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme (optional)
- Heat the oil in a pan and cook the minced Hereford beef for a few minutes until beginning to brown.
- Add the onion and continue to cook for another 5 minutes until soft.
- Stir in the stock. Season to taste and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Spoon into a 1.1litre pie dish.
- Put the flour, cornflour and suet in a mixing bowl and gradually beat in the milk and thyme (if using) to form a thick batter. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the batter over the meat mixture and cook for 30-35 minutes Gas 4/180ºC until risen and golden.