1 tablespoon oil
500g minced Hereford beef
1 onion, chopped
300ml beef stock
Salt and pepper
225g self-raising flour
75g shredded suet
300 ml milk
1 tablespoon chopped thyme (optional)
1. Heat the oil in a pan and cook the minced Hereford beef for a few minutes until beginning to brown.
2. Add the onion and continue to cook for another 5 minutes until soft.
3. Stir in the stock. Season to taste and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Spoon into a 1.1 litre pie dish.
5. Put the flour, cornflour and suet in a mixing bowl and gradually beat in the milk and thyme (if using) to form a thick batter. Season well with salt and pepper.
6. Spoon the batter over the meat mixture and cook for 30-35 minutes Gas 4/180ºC until risen and golden.