500 g Hereford beef fillet
3 tbsp oil
2 tbsp soy sauce
freshly ground pepper
200 g rice noodles
5 spring onions, chopped
1 tsp grated ginger
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 star anise or ½ tsp Chinese five-spice powder
4 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp sugar
4 tbsp rice wine or dry sherry
- Cut the meat into bite-size pieces. Add 2 tablespoons oil, soy sauce and freshly milled pepper. Cover and marinate for about 30 minutes.
- Cook the rice noodles in boiling, salted water according to the instructions on the packet, until ‘al dente’ and drain well.
- Heat a wide shallow pan. Remove the meat from the marinade, put into the pan and cook for a few minutes, until cooked to your liking.
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan or wok and gently cook the spring onions for 2- 3 minutes until softened. Add the ginger, garlic and star anise or five-spice powder and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the oyster sauce, sugar and rice wine and simmer for 2 minutes. Cover with hot water and add the noodles. Simmer for 1-2 minutes until heated through.
- Put into warmed serving bowls and serve immediately.