- 2 litres of beef stock
- Splash of vegetable oil
- 2 shallots
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 thumb sized pieces of ginger
- 2 large lemongrass stalks
- 2 red chillies finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- Ramen or rice noodles
- 2 x 8oz Hereford Beef rump or sirloin steaks
- 1 red chilli
- Handful of coriander
- 2 limes
- Cherry tomatoes (optional)
- 150g beansprouts
- Finely slice the shallots and garlic. Chop the ginger into small discs, finely dice the red chillies and bash the lemongrass stalks with a rolling pin to release the flavour.
- Select a large heavy-bottomed pan and heat to medium heat with a dash of vegetable oil. Add the finely sliced shallots and garlic and fry for 2-3 minutes until just starting to colour.
- Add the beef stock, then add the sliced ginger, red chillies, lemongrass stalks, fish sauce and teriyaki sauce. Heat for 5-10 minutes until all the flavours are fully infused then check for seasoning and add more of any desired ingredients to make it spicier or saltier.
- Remove from the heat & strain to remove the spices into another large pan. This can be kept in the fridge at this stage for 24 hours should you wish to make in advance.
- Remove the steaks from the fridge and bring to room temperature. Heat the ramen sauce in a large saucepan.
- Cook or soak the noodles according to the instructions and prepare the garnishes (chilli, lime, beansprouts).
- Add a little oil to a good non-stick frying pan and heat over high heat until the pan is hot. Season the steak with sea salt and freshly ground pepper on both sides just before cooking. Add the steak to the hot pan and cook on one side for 2-5 minutes until turning once and repeating on the other side. The amount of time per side will vary on the heat of your pan, the thickness of your steak and how rare you like your steak. Test whether the steak is cooked by touch.
- When cooked, remove from the pan and allow the steak to rest on a warm (not hot) plate covered with foil.
- Add the noodles to the ramen to heat through. After 5 minutes, when the steak is rested slice into thin slices.
- Divide the noodles and the ramen between 4 bowls. Top with the steak, chilies, coriander, and beansprouts and serve at once.