- 1.3kg/3lb lean rump roast
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 120ml/8tbsp prepared sweet chilli sauce
- Grated zest of 1 large lime
- 3 lemongrass stalks, finely chopped
- 1 x 5cm/2inch piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 30ml/2tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4-5, 180-190°C, 350-375°F.
- For the Thai marinade: in a small bowl mix all the ingredients together.
- Place the joint on a chopping board, score the skin, season and brush the marinade all over the joint. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for up to 2 hours.
- Put the joint on a metal rack in a large non-stick roasting tin and open roast for the preferred, calculated cooking time, basting occasionally with any beef juices. Cover with foil if browning too quickly.
- Remove the joint from the tin, transfer to a warm plate, cover with foil and rest for at least 20 minutes.
- Serve the joint with seasonal roasted vegetables.