- 2kg Hereford Beef fillet
- Dijon mustard (to taste)
- Black pepper (to taste)
- Unsalted butter
- Trim a whole fillet of Hereford Beef, thinly spread some Dijon mustard over the whole joint and grind some black pepper over it.
- Tightly roll the joint in some cling film and, if possible, leave to marinate for a couple of days.
- Slice the fillet into portions – about 200g per person.
- Meanwhile, heat a small frying pan.
- Keeping the cling film on the fillet, season the open ends of each portion with salt and pepper and spread some sunflower or rapeseed oil over them.
- Place in the hot pan and cook on each end for about 2 to 3 minutes or until both ends are a caramelised brown and then remove the clingfilm.
- Add a knob of unsalted butter and put the pan in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees (ensure the handle is ovenproof or place on an oven tray). To serve rare, keep in the oven for about 6 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, leave to rest for about 3 minutes and serve.