- 150g Hereford Beef fillet
- 1 little gem lettuce, shredded
- 1⁄2 red onion, very finely chopped
- 2tbsp chopped mint
- 2tbsp chopped coriander
- 1 red pepper, finely sliced
- 10 water chestnuts, cut in half
- 1 small sweet potato
- Oil for frying
- 1tbsp sunflower oil
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1tsp sesame oil
- 1 small chilli, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed to a puree
- 1” root ginger, grated
- 1tsp honey
- 1tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1tsp fish sauce
- First, make the dressing by mixing all the ingredients together and taste for seasoning. Should have a good balance of sweet, sour and salty.
- For the salad: prepare all the ingredients and then mix together in a bowl (but do not dress until the last minute).
- To make the sweet potato crisps: peel the potato, and then still using the peeler, peel off strips off the vegetable.
- Heat some oil in a pan and test temperature with a piece of bread which should brown after 20 seconds.
- If you have reached the correct temperature, lower the sweet potato into the oil and fry until lightly golden at the edges. Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
- To cook the steak: heat a small amount of oil in a pan, add the steak and cook to the desired level. Leave to rest for ten minutes and then slice.
- To assemble: toss the dressing in with the salad. Pile high on a plate and top with beef and the crisps then serve immediately.