- 2 large Hereford Beef sirloin steaks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 10-12 spears asparagus
- 3 large waxy potatoes
- A knob of grass-fed butter
- 1 teaspoon of peppercorns
- A glug of brandy
- 100ml of double cream
- 3-4 large potatoes
- 2 heaped tablespoons of goose fat
- Ground salt and pepper to season
- Start your Valentines treat for two by preparing your chips. Preheat your oven to 220°C/425°F/gas 7 and place your goose fat into a baking tray, allowing it to melt while your oven heats.
- Chop your potatoes into chunky chips and then place on the tray of what should be now melted goose fat.
- Add a dash of salt for 1 hour and intermittently turn in the oil throughout this time (turn the heat down if they’re getting too crispy too quickly).
- Take a griddle pan and put on a high heat adding a tablespoon of olive oil, once the pan is hot add your asparagus spears and sear 1-2 minutes on each side. Once nicely charred add to a tray on the lower shelf of your oven for the last 5-10 minutes of your chips cooking time.
- Using the same pan put your salt and pepper seasoned Hereford Beef sirloin steaks in on high heat. Cooking times for your steaks depend on how you like it, we’ve made this easy guide:
– Blue – Pinkest: 1 minute each side
– Rare – Mostly pink: 1.5 minutes per side
– Medium rare – Still quite pink: 2 minutes per side
– Medium – A bit pink: About 2.5 minutes per side
– Well-done – No longer pink: 4-5 mins each side
- Whilst your steaks rest make your peppercorn sauce by adding butter to a pan on high heat. Once melted add a generous glug of brandy and boil for 3 minutes.
- Add the juices from your griddle pan and crushed peppercorns allowing the liquid to further simmer for 2 minutes before adding your cream and allowing to thicken for a few minutes on low heat.
- Serve your steaks, chunky chips, asparagus and peppercorn sauce with salt and pepper to taste.