Using a different cut of beef such as ranch, thick flank or skirt marinated with pineapple and allspice makes a steak supper with a difference.
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- 4 lean ranch, thick flank, skirt or sirloin steaks
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 75ml/5tbsp fresh pineapple juice
- 10ml/2tsp allspice berries, crushed (a spice available at all good supermarkets)
- 25g/1oz dark brown sugar
- 2 medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 15ml/1tbsp sunflower oil
- 30ml/2tbsp sherry
- 150ml/¼pint good, hot beef stock
- 15ml/1tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Place the steaks in a shallow, non-metallic dish and season on both sides.
- In a small bowl; mix together the pineapple juice, crushed berries and sugar. Pour over the steaks and add the onions. Cover and refrigerate for 40 minutes, or overnight, if time allows, turning once.
- Remove the steaks from the marinade (reserving the marinade) and cook under a preheated moderate grill according to your preference. Transfer the steaks to a warm plate to rest.
- To make the sauce from the marinade, heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan and cook the onions for 2-3 minutes. Add the reserved marinade mixture, sherry, stock and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add any meat juices from the steak plate to the sauce.
- Serve the steaks and sauce with either creamy mash or cheesy pasta shapes and seasonal vegetables or a side salad.