A version of the popular Chinese dish, great for a family weekend supper. Roast beef with a sticky seasoning served in rice pancakes with salad. Ideal for using left over roast beef.
Cooking Time: 1 hour 40 minutes (for 3lb lean topside, silverside, or sirloin joint)
- 1.3kg/3lb lean topside, silverside or sirloin joint
- 18-24 prepared Chinese pancakes
- 1-2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 10ml/2tsp Chinese 5-spice powder
- 90ml/6tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 30ml/2tbsp light brown sugar
- 45ml/3tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 x 200g bag salad leaves
- 2 small shallots, peeled and finely sliced
- 100g/4oz cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 75ml/5tbsp olive oil
- 15ml/1tbsp red wine or sherry vinegar
- 45ml/3tbsp freshly chopped coriander
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped mint leaves
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4-5, 180-190°C, 350-375°F.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sticky seasoning ingredients. Make several slits over the surface of the joint and brush all over with the mixture.
- Place the beef on a metal rack in a large roasting tin and open roast for the preferred, calculated cooking time, basting occasionally with any rich meat juices.
- Meanwhile place the salad ingredients into a large bowl. Put the dressing ingredients into a screw-topped jar. Shake gently and pour over the salad leaves.
- Slice the beef and arrange on top of the Chinese pancakes with a little of the salad, roll up and eat.