It’s the time of year where we look at our choices in life and start making changes. Many people decide to diet, join the gym and make dramatic changes that are too much to keep up. If you really want to make a positive change the best way is to increase exercise while maintaining a balanced diet. Hereford beef can be included in a diet and there are positive reasons to keep eating meat.
- The Department of Health recommend cutting down the amount of red meat (and processed meat) to no more than 70g of cooked weight a day.
- Red meat is rich in protein and can help you get the protein you need, along with eating beans and pulses.
- Red meat such as Hereford beef provides you with iron and is a main source of vitamin B12.
Meat and Beef Buying Choices for Healthier Lifestyles
- Marbling, as found in Hereford beef, is full of mono-unsaturated fats, these healthy fats help to protect against heart disease.
- Buy from the butcher or the meat counter when possible. When you buy pre-packed meats always check the nutritional label to see how much fat it contains.
- Limit processed meats such as sausages and beef burgers as they often have a high fat and a high salt content.
- Limit the number of pies and other pastries you eat as the pastry has a high salt and saturated fat content.
- Choose meat that is raised on a healthy diet and not fattened with a heavy starch grain diet. For example, Hereford beef is a grass fed beef, they have a balanced system that creates a fat balance including omega 3, omega 6 and conjugated linoleic acid. It’s healthier for the cattle and for you.
- Omega 3 and omega 6, found in Hereford beef and some other breeds has been shown to reduce the risk of heart attacks, improve brain function and lower blood pressure.
Meat can be included in a healthy diet, research into the meat you’re eating and make changes to your buying choices to reap the health benefits.