A tasty topside roasting joint with a delicious crust made with crushed fennel seeds, garlic cloves, dried chilli flakes and olive oil. Perfect for all festive occasions or just for a treat!
Cooking Time: 1 hour 15 minutes (for 3lb lean topside joint)
- 1 x 900g/2lb lean topside joint
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 15-30ml/1-2tbsp fennel seeds, crushed
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 10ml/2tsp dried chilli flakes
- 30ml/2tbsp olive oil
- Rosé Wine Gravy:
- 15ml/1tbsp plain or sauce flour
- 300ml/½pint good, hot beef stock
- 300ml/½pint rosé wine
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4-5, 180-190°C, 350-375°F.
- Place the joint on a chopping board and make several slashes over the surface of the joint, taking care not to cut the butcher’s string or elasticated meat bands (if present). Season.
- In a small bowl mix together the fennel seeds, garlic, chilli flakes and olive oil. Spread the mixture over the surface of the joint.
- Place the joint on a metal rack in a large roasting tin and open roast for the preferred calculated cooking time, basting occasionally with any meat juices.
- Remove the joint from the oven, cover and leave to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the gravy, spoon off any excess oil from the tin, leaving about 30ml/2tbsp of any meat juices. Place the roasting tin over a medium heat and sprinkle over the flour. Stir well with a small whisk or spoon, gradually add the stock and wine, and stir again, scraping the base of the pan to release any sediment.
- Add any meat juices from the platter, adjust the seasoning, if required and simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally or until reduced to a well-flavoured gravy. Strain the gravy before serving.
- Serve the joint with seasonal vegetables.