When the sun comes out, most of us immediately head to the shops to buy coal, meat, salad and drinks to enjoy a barbecue in the garden. We have to make the most of the sun as we never know how long it’s going to last for or if we’ll have another sunny day at all! There’s something extra flavoursome about a barbecued homemade beef burger, but you can make excellent burgers all year round with our 8 tips.
- Go for quality grass fed beef (such as Hereford beef) as it will have much more flavour and taste beautiful.
- Ask your butcher to mince some Hereford beef for you, or mince it at home if you have the tools (a food processor will do!).
- Use a scale to weigh out your burgers and all your burgers will be the same size and shape. Remember to add a dimple to the middle of your burgers when you shape them, this will help them to maintain their shape when you cook them.
- Don’t buy a typical burger bun, use a brioche bun to quickly and easily upscale your beef burgers.
- Season your shaped beef burgers just before you cook. Use lots of salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Don’t be afraid to flip your burgers multiple times if you want to, you don’t have to follow the one flip only rule. The most important thing to remember is to get an even cook.
- Read the top five burger tips from The Beefy Boys – they’ve won awards for a very good reason.
- Make sure your charcoal has turned white as this is a sign that it’s at optimum cooking temperature.
We’d love to see your homemade beef burgers. Tag @HerefordBeefUK on Twitter and Instagram and we’ll share our favourites.